League Of Legends
Once you have logged into the PvP.net client, you will find yourself at the League of Legends landing page. From here you can chat with other players, add friends, browse game information, and (of course) start a game. A good place to begin is by playing the tutorial. The tutorial will introduce you to the basic interface and gameplay concepts in League of Legends.
- To begin the tutorial, left click on the ‘Play’ button on the top of the PVP.net client.
- From the play menu, select the 'Tutorial' selection in the bottom right.
- When the game launches, follow the instructions of the announcer.
The Proving Grounds is a scenario which will walk you through all the basics of controlling your champion on the Field of Justice. if you follow the announcer’s instructions, she will teach you the basics of selecting and using your champion abilities and summoner abilities, as well the basics of towers and inhibitors.
Once you have completed the tutorial, it will be beneficial for you to see how these mechanics work in an actual games of League of Legends. To start your first match, press the ‘Play’ button again. Since this is your first game, you should probably host a practice game, where you will be able to add computer controlled players called ‘Bots’. Bots have adjustable difficulty levels, and will provide a more predictable gameplay experience while you are still getting acquainted with the basics. Sometimes, you might not be able to play a practice game with just yourself and bots. If this is the case, bring a few friends along or find a game with similar players!
- To begin the a Practice Game, left click on the ‘Play’ button on the top of the PVP.net client.
- From the play menu, select the ‘Practice Game’ selection in the bottom left.
- Notice that you arrive at a list of practice games. To host your own, press the ‘Create Game’ button.
- Name your game whatever you wish by filling in the 'Name' field.
- Now, password protect your game by filling in the 'Password' field to prevent other players from joining.
- Click ‘Create Game’ to enter your game's lobby.
- From here you can add your bots. From the drop downs on either team, select the bots that you would like to be your teammates, then create the enemy team. To get the most relevant experience, fill both teams completely.
- When you have finished populating your game, press the 'Start Game' button.
- Note that in order to earn Experience and Influence Points, both teams must have an equal number of players (or bots).
Once your match has begun, you will arrive at the ‘Champion Select’ screen, where you will have 90 seconds to prepare for battle!
Once you arrive at ‘Champion Select’, your first order of business will be to select the champion you wish to summon. League of Legends offers a wide array of different champion types to choose from, ranging from durable, close combat champions, to fragile, long range heroes, to powerful mages with high damage spells. If you would like to know more about the abilities of a certain champion, click the small icon within the champion’s portrait to view information about them. Just remember you only have a minute and a half to finish your selection. You can also view this information at your leisure by clicking the ‘View Summoner Profile’ button in the upper right of your PvP.net client and selecting the ‘Champions’ tab, or by visiting the League of Legends community site.
Simply left-click on the champion you wish to summon. You may change your selection up until you hit the 'Lock In' button.
In the next screen you may choose your summoner spells. Summoner spells allow you to assist your champion (or, in some cases, your teammate’s champion) in various ways. There are many spells to choose from; but choose wisely because you may only bring two of these into battle. Choose your Summoner Spells by clicking on one of the 'Spells' icons in the center of the screen, then clicking on the two Summoner Spells you wish to use.
- Tip: Try to imagine which summoner abilities would be best suited to both your team and your champion. For example, if you are playing a support champion you may want to pick up the Heal spell for the synergy it offers with your champion’s existing abilities
The next screen is where you select your rune book page. For more information on your rune book, you can visit the Summoner information page. From here you may choose which of your previously generated rune pages you feel will most benefit your chosen champion. While you cannot change your rune book pages at ‘Champion Select’, you can select from one of your presets. Click the drop-down under 'Runes & Masteries' and select the rune page you want to use. Hover your mouse over any rune page to display a summary of benefits provided by the rune page.
- Tip: Even if you are unsure of how you want to build your character, you should always select a rune page before entering the game. Runes can only benefit your character, and are never detrimental.
Once you have selected your champion, summoner spells, and rune page, you are placed into a team chat. If there were players in your game, you could use this time to discuss strategies and champion selections with your teammates before the game starts. For now, just wait patiently until the timer runs down.
After the timer has run out for champion selection, its time for the champions to take their places on the Field of Justice.
After loading, you and your teammates start out on the summoner platform. Next to the summoner platform you will find the shop. Here you can choose your first items to bring with you onto the battlefield. To access the shop, right click the shop keeper or press the ‘P’ key.
Starting out you have 475 gold to spend. As the game progresses and you generate more gold you will be able to return here to buy additional equipment. If you are unsure of what to buy, you may wish to refer to the suggested items in the bar at the upper right hand corner of the shop interface.
- Tip: If you find that you are having trouble staying alive, items that increase health regeneration make excellent choices for keeping your health high in the early game. In many cases, these items can be upgraded later on to form even more powerful items for you to use. Alternatively, potions can provide an affordable method of healing early on.
Every champion has five abilities at his disposal over the course of the game. The first three abilities are your champion’s standard abilities and area available starting at level 1. The fourth ability, or ultimate ability, becomes available for you to choose at level 6. This is typically a very powerful ability, often with a longer cooldown. The fifth ability is always a passive ability. This ability is free, and always active.
At level one, and at each level thereafter, your champion receives one ability point. When you have ability points available to distribute, you will see a plus sign above each of your available abilities. Left clicking on the plus sign above a specific ability unlocks the next rank of that ability. Your first three abilities have a maximum rank of 5, and your ultimate ability has a maximum rank of 3.
- Tip: If you are trying out a new character, try not to place all your ability points in a single ability first. Unlocking at least one rank of another ability earlier in the game will allow you to make use of a more diverse repertoire of different tactics when confronted with an enemy.
Once you have chosen your initial ability and items, it is time for you to choose a lane. Since you are just starting out, try to choose a lane with a partner. Deep within the enemy base, near their summoner platform, lies their nexus. Victory is achieved through the destruction of the enemy team’s nexus. Guarding the nexus are several turrets that are placed at even intervals in separate lanes. You have to push your way through these lanes in order to reach the enemy nexus. In each lane, however, you will undoubtedly run into the opposing champions and their minions. A minion wave is a group of computer controlled warriors that spawn from your nexus to assist your assault on the enemy base. The minions, however, are relatively weak on their own, and will need your assistance in order to deal with the enemy champions.
- Tip: Striking the killing blow on a minion gives you extra gold to spend on items. This is referred to as the ‘last hit’.
In addition to the enemy minions and champions, there are the turrets to contend with. Turrets will defend against oncoming minion waves and champions. While trying to push forward into your enemies’ territory, you will have to destroy these turrets in order for your army to continue its assault. Your creeps will not be able to pass any further up a lane until the closest turret to them is destroyed.
It is unwise, however, to attack a turret unassisted by your minions. These turrets can do massive damage to even the mightiest of champions. Make sure you have either a minion wave or another allied champions with you before you think about launching an attack on a turret.
- Tip: Dividing your territory from the enemy’s is a river. Once you have crossed into enemy territory, be careful! There are many places in which enemy players can lie in ambush!
You may also notice that scattered throughout the Field of Justice are patches of tall grass. These areas provide you with stealth, making you invisible to enemy minions and champions who are not also in the brush. These areas come in handy often, allowing you to set up ambushes, or to quickly escape and hide when it is necessary.
- Tip: If you wish to remain completely invisible to nearby enemies, don't attack while in the grass. Attacking from within the grass will give away your position to nearby enemies.
When you reach the opposing team's base you will notice a small structure right behind the perimeter turret. This structure is called an inhibitor. An enemy inhibitor prevents your nexus from spawning super minions in the corresponding lane. Super creeps are especially durable creeps capable of dealing a large amount of damage. Just a few of these can spell serious trouble for a team’s defenses, making the enemy inhibitor an important strategic target.
- Tip: It is a good idea not to waste too much time pushing into the enemies base after destroying an inhibitor. A destroyed inhibitor will respawn after a time, once again preventing your nexus from creating super creeps until you are able to destroy that inhibitor again!
The final threat contained within an enemy’s base is the nexus. The nexus is the most important structure on the battlefield, and is the source of the enemy’s minion armies. Because it is so important, the nexus is defended by the enemy team’s two most powerful turrets. Make sure you have a strong minion army with you before you think about engaging the enemy’s nexus. However, if you manage to destroy the enemy nexus, their backbone of their war machine will be broken, and you will be declared victorious.
- Tip: Unlike other turrets on the map, the turrets near the nexus regenerate slowly if they are damaged but not fully destroyed.
Congratulations on completing your first game of League of Legends! If you wish to experiment with more champions, it may be advisable for you to continue playing against bots until you have discovered which champions suit your playstyle. If you're feeling confident, try joining the matchmaking queue. Matchmaking will attempt to match you with players of your skill level, adjusting based upon your performance in each game.
- To join the matchmaking queue, left click on the ‘Play’ button on the top of the PVP.net client.
- From the play menu, select the 'Normal Game' selection in the upper left.
- Choose 'Solo' to be automatically assigned teammates, or choose 'Arranged Team' if you want to invite your friends to play with you.
- Choose your map: Summoner's Rift for 5v5 action, or Twisted Treeline for a smaller, faster-paced 3v3 game.
- Wait for the queue to notify you that you have been matched into a game. You should hear a battle horn, and receive a message prompting you to enter champion select.
Remember, if you have a rocky start, matchmaking will adjust over time to find players of your skill level. If you want to attempt a new strategy, you can always try out a new champion in a practice game against bots.
Riot Games would like to issue a very special thanks to Larias and Spunkify for their contributions to this tutorial!